Saturday, September 17, 2022

The Next Mistress Catwoman

But who?

In other news: Dutch has lost his Enigma CD

Las Vengadoras Enmascaradas (1962) Masked women spring into action to catch bandits.

By now you must have watched Michelle Pfeiffer cracking the whip as she beheads four mannequins in a department store. Guess I have to rewatch Batman Returns because I have no clue why Catwoman did that.

What amazes me most is the sheer elegance with which she handles the long-tail whip. She practised for months. One time she hit her teacher, Anthony Delongis, a fight choreographer and movement teacher, in the face. And now this performance.

"“It was a real stroke of luck finding [Delongis], because his approach was different than anything I had ever seen or that Tim [Burton] had ever seen in that it wasn't a kind of --- excuse the pun -- manhandling of the whip,” Pfeiffer explained. “It was very graceful and elegant. And actually very dancelike and beautiful. And kind of more feline really.”"
 
- Michelle Pfeiffer in E Online

Exactly that: graceful, elegant, feline and the opposite of manhandling is what made me write about it in the first play. It's beautiful to see.

Over 25 years later people are still talking about it, so here's a fun question. If Michelle Pfeiffer hadn't played Catwoman in Batman Returns, which domme should have taken her place? You can pick anyone, past, present or future.


Face The Music

Batman Returns was released in 1992. That same year DJ's Stonebridge remixed Show Me Love and the next it became Robin S' greatest hit to date. Yesterday morning I read a feelgood article in The Guardian about "How house music changed the world." It's more nostalgia than journalism, still a fun read. And because I just lost my Enigma cd, I'm compiling a mix tape. You didn't see that one coming, did you. So instead of just one song today there gonna be 11.

Let's line up some potential candidates. So what are the rules? The track has to be from the nighties and it has to include some powerhouse vocals. First up is of course Janet Jackson, [2] I mean Robin S. One of my favourite tracks is Back It Up in the Sanito, Block & Crown club mix. And yes that's Robin S, trust me/your ears. I think the guys used to deejay at the Pacha.

Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives at Classical Uproar, Gorton Monesteray Manchester 2018. Click to listen.

Oops, sorry, mixtape cancelled. Just found my Enigma CD. Bummer. I'm as disappointed as you. Must be the Joker who took it. Life without music is pointless so here are today's notes. Alison Limerick singing about Where Love Lives. With a full orchestra in a church. That's the closest you're gonna get to Enigma today. If you want more, feel free to drop by and pick up my Enigma CD. Good riddance. [1]

dancing clogs: dutch wooden shoes

[1] Asked mistress if I could trade my Enigma CD for my power tools but that's not gonna happen. And I'm very much OK with that. One more reason I love her.

[2] My bad, Miss Jackson is currently serving as headmistress at the Hogwarts School of Magic.

No comments :

From The Archives