Friday, May 26, 2017

Shibari You Can Use

A book on bondage techniques might just be the thing to get you started.


By chance I stumbled upon a book about Shibari. Bondage is one of the things I enjoy and the possibilities that rope offers are endless. Despite that I prefer leather cuffs - let's say it's a different kind of menace.

"Shibari you can use" is a practical guide, therefore it lacks a chapter on the origins of Shibari. Don't know if there's such a thing as a rope fetish, but if there is the author might "suffer" from it. That's meant as a complement.

Lee Harrington starts with the basics: safety. Always! One of the best lines in the book is "bottoms speak up" [If you feel a sharp stab of pain, have a limb fall asleep quickly...]

Next up is a thorough discussion of the different types of rope and their individual burn rates. Burn rates? Yes, burn rates I discovered there are also two sorts of hemp: Japanese and Western. Of course there are.

The book wouldn't be complete without sections on rope care and length of rope. Then - finally - class begins. First up is the "one column tie". It is lavishly illustrated with numerous pictures, just like the whole book. The photography is tasteful and very well done. The different types of Shibari go on for almost a hundred pages and some are truly works of art. I have to be honest, the [erotic] macrame doesn't do it for me.

What I like best about the pictures is that the models are almost always smiling. I know not everybody agrees, but to me femdom is fun for two. Another thing I noticed is that a touch of coloured rope here and there adds to the magic.

If you are into shibari why not give "Shibari you can use - Japanese rope bondage and macrame" a try?


shibari you can use - lee harrington - book review
Shibari You Can Use - Japanese Bondage and Erotic Macrame
by Lee Harrington

No comments :

From The Archives